As I have mentioned in the past, I am an evening runner. That means I am running after work and most of the time, I am dead on my feet. Exhausted. I am always on the look out for the perfect pre run snack for these evening workouts in order to boost my energy and get me going. I never want anything too heavy but I definitely need something in my stomach or else there is a solid chance I won’t make it. I need energy. I try my best to rely on snacks made of whole, real foods instead of packaged items. I also want something that I can quickly grab with no prep required. After seeing tons of recipes for different energy bites and balls and whatnot floating around on the interwebs, I decided to make some of my own.
There are three good for you ingredients in this recipe. Pumpkin, oats, and peanut butter. The pumpkin provides a good bit of vitamin A which helps boost your immunity. No one wants to be sick on race day. The oats are a good source whole grain carbs (energy) and the third ingredient, peanut butter, gives you a solid dose of good fats and protein. Throwing these ingredients together is so simple, taking no more than five minutes from start to finish. This is a quick, simple, healthy recipe. It doesn’t get much better than that. Enjoy!
- 8 tablespoons oats
- 4 tablespoons nut butter of your choice (I used peanut but almond would be good too)
- 4 tablespoons pumpkin pie mix (this includes all the yummy spices like cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, etc.)
- place your oats into a food processor or blender and process until powder like
- add the nut butter and pumpkin pie mix and pulse until combined
- grab tablespoon sized pieces of the mixture and roll into balls
The ICEdot Crash Sensor attaches to a helmet and notifies emergency contacts of a crash and your location. Be the first to own one. Sign up for our Crash Sensor newsletter and we'll email you when it's ready to purchase.