I posted this recipe on my personal food blog about a year ago but I also wanted to post it here, simply because I think it is a really great recipe for any and all athletes to try. A mookie is a delicious blend of a muffin and a cookie and it is one of my favorite things to bake. The recipe I use is chalk full of good for you ingredients and is an excellent pre run snack, providing just the right amount of energy without sitting like a brick in your stomach. If you are looking for something new to try, I suggest giving this recipe a shot. It is really easy to throw together, is nutritious, and as I said above, is a great source of fuel for any type of workout or activity.
- 2/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder (I use aluminum free)
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- dash ground allspice
- dash ground nutmeg
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup pumpkin
- 1/8 cup applesauce
- 1/8 cup pure maple syrup
- preheat oven to 350 degrees and coat a baking sheet with spray
- whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, allspice, and nutmeg in large bowl
- in a separate bowl whisk together eggs, brown sugar, pumpkin, applesauce, and maple syrup until thoroughly combined
- stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients until thoroughly combined
- scoop out tablespoons of mixture onto baking sheet, making sure to leave about an inch between each
- bake for 10-12 minutes and enjoy!
The whole wheat flour in this recipe provides fiber and is a source of whole grain carbs, the pumpkin is a stellar source of vitamin A, and with the use of applesauce instead of oil, the amount of fat in these mookies is almost undetectable (about 2 grams per mookie). Hooray for healthy baked goods!
The ICEdot Crash Sensor attaches to a helmet and notifies emergency contacts of a crash and your location. Be the first to own one. Sign up for our Crash Sensor newsletter and we'll email you when it's ready to purchase.